We leave at 7:50am on Thursday, February 4th 2010.
There's one big hurdle down.
You'd think it wouldn't be that hard to book a flight but there was actually a lot to it. Most planes will take small dogs for a fee and you can actually keep them under the seat in front of you, but since Maggie is 41 lbs she has to fly in cargo. So I started by researching which planes people have used which fly dogs cargo. I narrowed it down to Delta and Continental. But the Pet Friendly Airlines site I was looking at gave pretty crappy reviews for Delta in the pet department. And I'm not taking any chances.
After looking for flights and finding Continental had decent priced flights all of February, I decided 2/4 would work. Nick has to report to work on the 10th and we have a wedding in Delaware to go to on Jan 30th so he'll probably be flying in just before me. I'd like to spend a few days with him (like the weekend) before he has to report. Especially since I won't have a car when I first get there.
So Monday night I called the Live Pet Desk at Continental and spoke with a guy who first told me I would have to depart from Newark, NJ in order to fly Maggie. Then he said I could leave from BWI (Baltimore Washington Internationl) as long as I chose flights that had a layover in Houston then flew into Honolulu. The only Continental flights for that day all went from BWI to Houston to Honolulu so I was safe there. So I confirmed with him that all I needed was to choose one of those flights FROM BWI TO HOUSTON TO HONOLULU in order to fly my dog. He said yes.
Tuesday I sat down with Nick and we decided that day would work so I booked my flight online, a 5:32am departure. Immediately after booking online I called the animal desk and asked to reserve my spot for the dog. They then immediately replied that I can't for that flight because the office doesn't open until 5:30am and they require a 90 minute prior to your flight checkin time for the dog. So I had to go back and call Expedia to change the flight. They would have charged me $150 to change it (even though it wasn't my fault) but the guys said because it was within 24 hours they could cancel the booking. So they did that.
I called back today to the animal desk just to MAKE sure there was still room on the next flight and booked the 7:50am flight while on the phone. I now have flight confirmations for me and for Maggie. There's one big thing down. I will still have to make a vet appt within 10 days of the flight to obtain a health certificate and have them administer flea/tick medication and sign off that they did so. Oh, and of course I still have to send my 4 page check list to Hawaii's agricultural office I believe at least 10 days prior to the flight.
Man, are the littlest things complicated. Just a few hundred more things on my to do list.....
And back to vacuum packing.